Urban Coolness: Seasonless T-Shirts?

What is it about the t-shirts that feature cool cats and/or graphics with the texts in a foreign language that really attract me?

Last weekend I've come about these two shirts at the Urban Outfitters, and if it wasn't for the 60F degrees outside, I would have bought it, even though I was shop-hunting for over-sized knits…We're already in the late fall, aren't we?

I've been always curious, how do store buyers and designers decide and/or choose what t-shirt, which feature texts in a foreign language, would sell? Why is that there were t-shirts in Russian at Urban Outfitters, but not, say, in French, Italian or - Finish? Just a thought…

Good thing I know Russian and I can read what the t-shirt text says, which - [in most cases, believe me] - does not make any sense. Here's why I think that:

I have this dress that I bought in Paris at Promod back in 2009 that 'mimics' a French newspaper with  French text all over it and a tank top that has a text in German on the front from Zara that I bought in like 2005 - both of which I love so much that I've been wearing them for years - and every single time I wear them, people try to read the text and make sense out of it. And believe me, nothing is as annoying as someone random on a street who is trying to read the text that is right on  your chest


Well, since I know a bit of German - I can tell you that the text on that tank top does not make any sense, it's just a random combination of German words. And as far as the dress is concerned - it does have full sentences, which do make sense, but all together - it does not make any unified thought or anything. So, next time you see someone's wearing a clothing item with a text in a foreign language, don't act obnoxious and try to read it - it won't make sense anyway. It's usually for the decoration purposes only, unless - it is the kind of a shirt that is supposed to carry a certain message - be it a shirt for a volunteering/charity event and/or with some famous quote by some famous person…

Either way, restrain yourself from starring at someone else's top in attempt to read the text - it wouldn't look good from a perspective of a person on the opposite end. That's said, no matter how far we are getting into the Fall season, just about to hit those first really cold, really foggy mornings and nights - the fashion industry doesn't seem to have an easy way to let go of the t-shirts. I wonder, why? Why would a store sell a tank top in the middle of fall and/or winter? Really...

As for myself, these tank tops of mine are long time packed away till Spring 2013 with an exception for a few that I use for my yoga classes and running. I was, though, very tempted to get those...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.