The Ballet Shoes I'd Never Wear...

I was never a big fan of the ballet. That is - of the classical ballet, although I grew up in the country that has the greatest ballet ever - Russia.

I just never learned to really like it that much, however, I must not say so as I have seen quite a few of the Bolshoi Theater productions when toured in New York City a few years ago and I was mesmerized - there's nothing like the Russian ballet dancers! However, if I had to choose between a Broadway show and a ballet performance, I'd go with the first one.


That's said, I do love modern ballet, and, of course, if Mikhael Baryshnikov - [though, most of the Americans might know him more as Carrie Bradshaw's Russian boyfriend Aleksandr Petrovsky in the final season of Sex and The City...] - would  have performed, I'd be the first in line for the tickets. So, I guess I do appreciate the art of ballet, don't I?
To make my point short - tonight I'm going to see "Rodin" ballet performance by the world-acclaimed ballet group Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg, which I'm a huge fan of. I've seen a few of their productions in the past and it's always amazing and surprising. I'm also very excited because it's not just another day in the life of the ballet troupe...

This season marks the 35th anniversary of the Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg and the company's long-awaited return to New York. It also marks the U.S. premiere of Boris Eifman's Rodin, a new full-length ballet based on the life of the French sculptor Auguste Rodin (1840--1917) - [whose museum in Paris I love!] - and his turbulent relationship with his mistress and muse, Camille Claudel. Set to music by Saint-Saƫns, Massenet and Ravel, Rodin is a tale of artistic inspiration and the terrible price of genius. 

Directed by Gina Ardani.

Judge for yourself the level of 'incredibility'...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.

My Travels: Vermont In Night And Day