Stylish Russian Dolls: Dress For Success...And Charity

I like the fact that what used to be a very stereotypical - [and, thus, widely known around the world] - souvenir that the visitors to Russia bring back home - the Russian Dolls, are now taking attention from the biggest fashion designers in the world. They are now a very hot commodity- both in a private collection on the shelves of one's house and in the fashionable art exhibitions.



I remember saying to my parents - [back in the days when we just moved to USA] - that it's pretty cheesy for the Russians abroad to display Russian Dolls at home, because the symbol of those dolls have been so heavily commercialized that it were no longer 'innocent' Russian crafts. And no matter how often I'd go to Russia, I refused to ever buy it for my personal collection. For the same reasons I've never bought the 'stereotypical' souvenirs in other countries as well - no matter how much I love visiting and re-visiting Notre Dame de Paris and/or Basilique du Sacré-Cœur - I've never brought back the little statue-replicas of those magnificent places...

Nowadays, however, Russian Dolls are a very hot commodity - they seem to appear everywhere: from American and European boutiques and elements in designers' clothes to decors of fab restaurants and lounges in America. I seem to see them everywhere...

That's why I was not surprised, when I learned that to celebrate Russian Vogue's 10th anniversary: some of fashion's biggest names including Giles Deacon, Ralph Lauren and Miuccia Prada were asked to design a dress for a matrioshka - a traditional Russian doll. Those dolls were meant for the auction that was held last month. 


The designers' sketches were realised by Russian craftsmen, who hand-painted the 50-centimeter dolls. According to Aliona Doletskaya, Russian Vogue's editor-in-chief: "Every matrioshka is unique and a piece of art in itself"... 

I'm sure you'd be able to recognize the dolls that reflect the style of Prada, YSL and Maison Martin Margiela...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.