My Found Again Love Affair...

Each one of us has a certain place that they associate with something happy and/or sad in their lives, but in any of the cases, it's a place that brings certain memories to a person that makes them think and feel...It's part of their life experiences...

It could be a corner of some streets, a cafe, or a bus stop...For me - it's NYC's Central Park.

The Great Lawn...NYC Central Park. Fall 2011.

I fell in love with it the first time I saw it in 1998 when I visited NYC for the first time...But at that point it had no real meaning to me, just a gorgeous green - secluded - the place in the city, which has no real other oasis within...

However, when I moved to NYC, and even though my very first apartment was in Astoria - just a few subway stops away from 59th and 5th Ave, I'd take my yoga pant butt down to subway every day to go jogging in Central Park...As I recall, those 15 min on the way from a 5-mile jog around The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir - originally and sometimes still known as the Central Park Reservoir, made me very, very happy...Only to think that I was THAT motivated to actually take a train from Queens to Central Park to jog!!! Not sure I'd be able to do it now, but I did it some ten years ago.



Later, when I moved to the Upper East Side - considering NO other options in the city because I wanted to be THAT close to my beloved park - I went to the park before work and after work...Same path, same 'jogging partners in crime' - some strangers, who you end up seeing at the same place and time through the years. Then I started to bike and rollerblade in the park...But besides all the fitness activities in the park, my very first job was just two blocks away from the park - on 56th and 6th Ave. - and at that time I was so excited to be in the city, so excited to have a good job - working for a fashion house - so excited to be reconnected with my college friends, so excited about...life, plans, future - just about everything! And the park was part of it, because each day during my lunch, I'd take my hot soup and/or sandwich to the park, sit at one of the benches and observe the park's life - people walking by, rental horses, seasonal changes, the old 'elite' of UES - old ladies and men - with their petite dogs in pleaded jackets, sounds and smells, restless squirrels... So, you can say that Central Park was very essential to my falling in love with the city - so much - that when I left NYC, each time I visited it, I always made time to stop by and see the park...

And now that I'm back to the city - my long lasting lost love affair with the park is being resumed...And I kind of feel that 'he' was very faithful to me when I was gone...

Do you have a place like this in your life?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.