East Meets West: On The Opposite Sides of Pond...


Having been running every day around the Central Park Reservoir, I had an opportunity to 'inspect' and visually memorize the all around views of the upper sides of Manhattan. I've noticed that the Upper East Side of Manhattan (UES) and Upper West Side of Manhattan (UWS) are rather  slightly different from each other, just as the East is different from the West... 

Upper East Side of Manhattan, view from the Upper West Side of the Reservoir...

Upper West Side of Manhattan, view from the Upper East Side of the Reservoir...

Just as the East designers' work is different from the West designers' work. This is rather a philosophical take on something that many of the New Yorkers don't even think about twice, but rather take it for granted as just another nice, secluded place to go for a run, but when you think about it - [or rather, if you are actually interested in fashion and know a few of the Asian designers vs., let's say, American designers] - then you'd know what I mean...

Just think: Issey Miyake, Kenzo, Yoji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons and Hanae Mori  - EAST vs. Donna Karen, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors - WEST...

 Yoji Yamamoto

Yoji Yamamoto

Ralph Lauren
Donna Karen
So, what 'side' are you closer to: East or West?

I'd say I'm a mix - I like the vibe of the Upper East Side: the museums, the park's East side, the proximity to 5th/Madison and Park Aves with their boutiques, galleries, and cafes, Paris Theatre and Barnes and Noble on the 86th Str., Guggenheim, MET, Frick's, etc. and the fact that most of my friends live on the East side - [I like the proximity of that!], but I also like the Loehmann's, Filene's Basement, Beacon Theatre, Lincoln Plaza, and, of course, Zabar's and Kalustyans on the Upper West Side. 

However, despite mine 'East Meets West' attitude, I feel much more at home on the Upper East side of the city...but I do like the Upper West Side of the Reservoir.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.