In And About: The Zombie Land of Aruba

On the last day of the photo shoot I came to do in Aruba for one of the oldest most prominent fashion brands - [oh, la, la, can't spill the beans yet], I had to scout for the shooting locations. 

For the second photo shoot I came across this very interesting store, or rather a multi-functional building that hosts a rather interesting vintage store, bar, barber shop in a very retro vintage style and a tattoo parlor. 



The whole exterior and interior design of the building is just something. Every single detail is thought through. The owner was so kind as to allow us to shoot on his premises using pretty much everything that we wanted... 

Giovanne, the owner of the Zombie Land store...
However, the personal style of the owner, who, by the way, a New York native, is what I've noticed the most. I couldn't help but taking a photo of him and one of his tattoo parlor worker.

The Zombie Land's tattoo parlor's girl...
 Shooting inside the fitting room:

She's now one of my favorite models - was up to any experiments and was a trooper to tolerate it all and give her best attitude throughout hours of shooting...
As you know, Aruba is in the Caribbean. When you think of the Caribbeans, you think of the beach-resort type of 'fashion' - people come to the Caribbean to relax on the beach and swim in the ocean, so flip flops, tank tops and bathing suits should dominate the scene. And they do, however, not with the locals. They go about their business as you and I would in, let's say, New York or Los Angeles - we dress for an occasion, be it work and/or an outing. 


For the locals, the tropical scene is a given and does not mean they should be always dressed in flip flops, as a matter of fact - they don't. They wear dressy clothes, boots and stilettos, and lots of colorful jewelry. Moreover, I was surprised to find out that most of them don't even go to the beach during the week, if ever. The couple that I got to know very well, the native New Yorkers who have been living in Aruba for about four years now, never go to the beach, which is about 3 minutes away from their condo! I was shocked when I first saw them - both looked and still look rather pale for the Caribbean locals. I guess it's understandable, I don't go to the Central Park, just because it's 10 minutes away from my house, every day, do I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.