Pumpkin Time: Orange Indulgence

Pumpkin time in NYC...

The time has arrived - the pumpkin time, that is... I've had quite a long road towards accepting both Halloween, pumpkin and all 'orange'...


October is all about pumpkin leading to the culmination of it all - to the Halloween on the 31st of October. 

It's amazing to see how pumpkin slowly made its way into the hearts of many people - and not only in USA, where Halloween is a national holiday. Now Halloween is celebrated in Europe, Asia, Latin America Canada - you name it. But the most lavish parties and costumes are still here - in the core of its holiday - in USA...

Pumpkin time in Washington, DC...
When I first came to this country, I didn't get Halloween. at all. It was foreign to me. Neither I got the 'all pumpkin bonanza' thing. I saw kids going 'trick-or-treat', adults dressing in all kinds of ridiculous costumes, cafes and restaurants serving 'pumpkin' baked goods and pumpkin dishes...

For me, pumpkin only existed in the form of roasted pumpkin seeds - [which I'm' still a huge fan of ]- and in the form of kasha millet porridge made with sweet roasted pumpkin pieces by my grandmother. That's about it... 

However, slowly, but surely I succumbed to the 'fun' idea of Halloween...That happened after I experienced the amazingly crazy Halloween bash in San Francisco, circuit 2000, which, I still believe, was the best I've ever been to...Later in life, I've been to Halloweens in Los Angeles, New York, San Diego, DC, even in Moscow...but nothing beat the San Francisco ones...

Moreover, now I'm a big fan of Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte. I'm, actually, addicted to it now. Every time the season of it ends at Starbucks, I stop coming to the coffee shop. I ONLY like their Pumpkin Spice Lattes...Again, now I'm a big fan of pumpkin pies, but not the ones you get a store, the ones that American families actually bake - that are still a bit warm, juicy and topped with a whipped cream. I don't eat it at any other times, only during Halloween and Thanksgiving times...[I keep my skinny jeans very close by...]

And, of course, now that I'm in 'spirit' with the whole pumpkin bonanza, the sight of pumpkin makes me very cozy...And orange color is one of my favorites now...Go, orange!

Shop pumpkin at Union Square farmer's market - Greenmarket...
Those I'd have - freshly baked...
Shop pumpkin at Soho farmer's market...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Town Profile: The Texan Style

Take Me To The City, Take Me To Safari: Or Just Stay On My Feet. Forever.